Who Would Take Care of Your Loved One with Alzheimer’s if Something Happened to You?

Return to prior page:  Alzheimer’s Home Safety during Natural Disasters

It is important to have a plan in case of your own illness, disability or death.

  • Consult a lawyer regarding a living trust, durable power of attorney for health care and finances, and other estate planning tools.
  • Consult with family and close friends to decide who will take responsibility for the person with AD.  You also may want to seek information about your local public
  • Guardian’s office, mental health conservator’s office, adult protective services, or other case management services.  These organizations may have programs to assist the person with AD in your absence.
  • Maintain a notebook for the responsible person who will be assuming caregiving.  Such a notebook should contain the following information:
    1. emergency numbers
    2. current problem behaviors and possible solutions
    3. ways to calm the person with AD
    4. assistance needed with toileting, feeding, or grooming
    5. favorite activities or food
  • Preview board and care or long-term care facilities in your community and select a few as possibilities.  If the person with AD is no longer able to live at home, the responsible person will be better able to carry out your wishes for long-term care.

See the next page in this series:  Alzheimer’s Home Safety – Caring for the Caregiver


Acorn wishes to acknowledge the National Institutes of Health, National Institute on Aging and the Alzheimer’s Disease Education and Referral (ADEAR) Center that were the sources for this valuable content