#8 – What information should a caregiver keep track of?

Click here to see the prior item in this series:  Is organizing paperwork a good way to be helpful?

What information should a caregiver keep track of?

The answer to this question is different for every family.  You might want to help organize the following information and update it as needed. This list is just a starting point.

  • Full legal name and residence
  • Birth date and place, birth certificate
  • Social Security and Medicare numbers
  • Employer(s) and dates of employment
  • Education and military records
  • Sources of income and assets; investment income (stocks, bonds, property)
  • Insurance policies, bank accounts, deeds, investments, and other valuables
  • Most recent income tax return
  • Money owed, to whom, and when payments are due
  • Credit card account names and numbers
  • Safe deposit box key and information
  • Will, beneficiary information
  • Durable power of attorney
  • Living will and/or durable power of attorney for health care
  • Where cash or other valuables might be kept in the home

Click here to see the next item in this series:  My parents are in their 70s.  Is now the time to talk about their healthcare preferences?


Acorn wishes to acknowledge the National Institute on Aging for this valuable content.

Within Acorn’s service area of Chapel Hill, Durham and surrounding areas in North Carolina (Hillsborough, Pittsboro, Morrisville, Cary, and Apex) the following resources may be especially helpful:

  • Orange County Department on Aging, 2551 Homestead Road, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27516, (919) 968-2070
  • Durham Center for Senior Life, 406 Rigsbee Avenue – Suite 202, Durham, North Carolina   27701, (919) 688-8247
  • Chatham County Council on Aging, 365 North Carolina 87, Pittsboro, North Carolina   27312, (919) 542-4512
  • Triangle J Area Agency on Aging, 4307 Emperor Boulevard
- Suite 110, Durham, NC 27703, 919-558-2711
  • Resources for Seniors (Wake County), 1110 Navaho Dr.  – Suite 400, Raleigh, NC 27609, 919-872-7933