#21 – How do we find a nursing home for my mom in Chapel Hill, NC.?

Click here to see the prior item in this series:  How do I help my parents decide if it’s time for them to move?

How do we find a nursing home?

If the decision is made that your parent needs the intensive care found in a nursing home (skilled nursing facility), you could talk with his or her doctor or a social worker about which facilities would be appropriate. Once you have the names of several places, the primary caregiver could visit them and meet with staff there. Then, when you have narrowed down the list, you can compare the quality of the remaining homes at Nursing Home Compare on the Medicare website, www.medicare.gov, or call Medicare for help.


Click here to see the next item in this series:  What happens if my mother gets too sick to stay at home?

Acorn wishes to acknowledge the National Institute on Aging for this valuable content.


Within Acorn’s service area of Chapel Hill, Durham and surrounding areas in North Carolina (Hillsborough, Pittsboro, Morrisville, Cary, and Apex) the following resources may be especially helpful:

  • Orange County Department on Aging, 2551 Homestead Road, Chapel Hill, North Carolina 27516, (919) 968-2070
  • Durham Center for Senior Life, 406 Rigsbee Avenue – Suite 202, Durham, North Carolina   27701, (919) 688-8247
  • Chatham County Council on Aging, 365 North Carolina 87, Pittsboro, North Carolina   27312, (919) 542-4512
  • Triangle J Area Agency on Aging, 4307 Emperor Boulevard
- Suite 110, Durham, NC 27703, 919-558-2711
  • Resources for Seniors (Wake County), 1110 Navaho Dr.  – Suite 400, Raleigh, NC 27609, 919-872-7933